"There are only two ways to live your life. One as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." -Albert Einstein

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Quitters Anonymous

I am a quitter. There. I said it. I have been a quitter my whole life. I want to do things that are amazing, but I quit in the process because...guess what? Amazing things are hard. They take practice and perseverance and determination. They take passion.

I feel envious of people who do amazing things. As though they possessed the talent and just went with it. As though it didn't require hard work and patience and many failures along the way.

This all struck me yesterday when my youngest son was upset because a classmate is good at everything. I said to him..he is good at basketball because he practices every afternoon. You don't practice so you can't expect to be as good. How true are these words.

Most of the things I have wanted to be good at, I never stuck with long enough to get good. I gave up during the learning process. Sports, sewing, painting, crafts, writing. I just admire things on pinterest and then sigh because I can't do them. Yes, I can, I just quit.

I am 45. I don't want to be a quitter anymore. I started running yesterday and I am going to stick with it until I am good. I am going to write everyday. I am going to continue crocheting which I just taught myself to do. That is my goal for this year..to become a person who does not give up, who never quits, who perseveres. Who knows what I might accomplish?

No comments:

Post a Comment